House fire leaves Cornell woman out in the cold



Photo by Ginna Young. Spectators watch as Cornell firefighters battle a blaze Jan. 26, at the home of Janice Pope at 113 South Seventh Street. Fire chief Denny Klass says the house suffered extensive fire, smoke and water damage, and that the structure cannot be lived in. Pope lost almost everything in the house, and to help with that, a pool tournament benefit is planned for March 16 at Huddle Up Pub. A fund will also be set up at Northwestern Bank, under Pope’s name.

By Ginna Young

On a frigid morning Jan. 26, tragedy struck at the home of Janice Pope at 113 South Seventh Street in Cornell. That morning, a fire believed to have started in the area of the dryer, ignited, and while Pope and her dog made it out safely, the structure wasn’t so lucky.

“It spread quickly through the house,” said Cornell Fire Chief Denny Klass, adding that there was extensive fire, smoke and water damage to the structure. “It’s uninhabitable. I don’t know what they’re going to do with it, but they can’t live in it the way it is.”

______________________________________

See Thursday, Janaury 31, 2019, issue of the Courier Sentinel for more of this story. 

Newspapers can be purchased at our Cornell office. 

To subscribe to the newspaper click here.

______________________________________

Contact CW Media

The Star News: 715-748-2626
Tribune Phonograph: 715-223-2342
The Record Review: 715-223-2342
Tribune Record Gleaner: 715-255-8531
Courier Sentinel: 715-861-4414

Comment Here